What graph do I need?
The table below gives an overview of the purpose and variables used in the graphs covered in this module.
|Scatter plot||• Visualising and studying relationships between variables|
• Assessing correlations between variables
• Study data distribution
|• X-axis: dependent or independent, continuous
• Y-axis: dependent, quantitative (most suitable for continuous, less for discrete)
|Line graph||• Identifying trends over time or space|
• Comparing multiple dependent variables of one common independent variable
|• X-axis: independent, continuous with a consecutive order
• Y-axis: dependent, continuous
|Bar graph||• Comparing categories|
• Displaying proportions
|• X-axis: independent, categorical (often nominal)
• Y-axis: dependent, quantitative (generally discrete)